Thursday 11th May 2017, 9:30am – 11:30am
DY1 Building, Stafford Street, Dudley
Background information and context
The NHS Five Year Forward View highlights the importance of the following in transforming health and social care services to meet to demands of an aging population:
- Supporting people to manage their own health better
- A need for radical upgrade in prevention and public health
- The NHS becoming a better partner with the voluntary sector and local communities
- Encouraging self-management for people with specific conditions and peer to peer support
- Health related community volunteering
Dudley’s MCP commissioning and procurement document states that the MCP will:
- Work effectively and efficiently with the voluntary and community sector ensuring there is parity of esteem between sector-led activities and initiatives and traditional health and care services.
- Work with partner organisations in helping to build community capacity and resilience
- Promote education, self-management and peer support
Aims of session
- Explore with voluntary and community sector organisations opportunities for stimulating and nurturing peer to peer support informal networks for people living with a long term condition, people with drug and alcohol dependency, people who care for children with a learning disability or physical disability, older people that care for other older people, young people with mental health issues.
- Explore ideas for co-designing a model to support and enable such activities (some small levels of financial resource will be made available if required to kick start activities).
- Explore how the voluntary and community sector can gather evidence of the value of peer-led activities to help people self-manage their health and wellbeing
Who the session is aimed at: voluntary organisations, charities, social enterprises, faith based organisation, community groups.
Book a place through the Eventbrite link here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exploring-opportunities-for-the-voluntary-sector-in-supporting-peer-led-activities-social-networks-tickets-33459223438